Staff Attorney – Legal Aid of Southeastern PA, Norristown
Legal Aid of Southeastern PA (“LASP”) seeks an attorney to provide civil legal services in its Norristown Office in Montgomery County. LASP serves low-income individuals and families in Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery counties.
This is a full-time position that will focus on representing parents in Children and Youth cases involving dependency and termination of parental rights. The attorney also may address issues regarding public benefits, consumer law and bankruptcy, employment, expungements, housing, family law, protection from domestic violence, and other cases as assigned.
The attorney will receive a salary commensurate with experience and LASP’s personnel policy. Staff currently work on a hybrid basis. The successful candidate will be expected to perform in-office work as well as be able to work remotely as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Interviewing clients, assisting in determining eligibility for services, and ascertaining and investigating facts;
- Conducting legal research and interpreting statutes, case law, regulations, and other sources of law;
- Providing advice and counsel to clients;
- Preparing legal documents, including but not necessarily limited to: briefs, pleadings, motions, notices, correspondence, memoranda, discovery and documents responsive to discovery requests;
- Developing strategy and arguments for presentation of cases and assisting in preparation of witnesses for hearings and trials;
- Representing clients in trial and appellate courts and before quasi-judicial or administrative agencies;
- Reviewing decisions and consulting with LASP management to determine merit of potential appeals;
- Participating in external professional and community organizations relevant to casework;
- Conducting clinics, community education, and workshops;
- Becoming engaged in LASP team efforts to achieve office and program goals, including participation in program-wide affinity groups and task forces;
- Developing knowledge of community referral resources and assessing community and client needs;
- Enhancing skills and substantive knowledge through training, CLE, and other educational opportunities;
- Abiding by all applicable professional standards of ethics and practice;
- Completing administrative tasks including entering of notes and timekeeping in LASP case management software, and maintaining of physical files;
- Ensuring that requirements of grants and contracts which may provide funding for the position are followed, and assist with grant reports;
- Performing other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned.
Norristown Office Managing Attorney
License to practice law in Pennsylvania or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission to Pennsylvania. Demonstrated proficiency in word processing, Outlook products, case management software, and online legal research tools; Passionate commitment to public interest law and serving low-income individuals and vulnerable populations; Strong written and oral advocacy and organizational skills; The successful candidate must be willing to accept complex and challenging cases and develop creative strategies to assist clients. Spanish language fluency is desirable.
Depending on experience and qualifications, a minimum of $56,500. Excellent benefits including employer-funded 401K, health and ancillary benefits, and generous leave provisions, including paid holidays, personal, vacation, and sick leave.
LASP is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate in the recruitment, selection, or advancement of employees on the basis of race, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, genetic information or on any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. LASP makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Send resume and cover letter, including the job title (Norristown Staff Attorney), to Elise Wilson-Coles, Human Resources Manager at Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania, to Hiring@lasp.org. Position remains open until filled.