Paralegal - Legal Aid of Southeastern PA, West Chester
Legal Aid of Southeastern PA (“LASP”) seeks a full-time Paralegal for the West Chester Office. LASP serves low-income individuals from Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Montgomery counties facing issues regarding housing, including landlord tenant law and foreclosure, family law, protection from domestic violence, consumer, employment and public benefits.
The West Chester Office serves Chester County residents facing these issues. The Paralegal must be a team player, willing to handle a multitude of duties as needed. Strong Microsoft Word and Excel skills and experience with case management systems and bankruptcy software or an ability to quickly learn these and other computer skills is desirable.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Interview applicants and clients by phone to determine eligibility; issue spot, ascertain and investigate relevant facts; and conduct legal research;
- Under supervision of an attorney, triage calls, evaluate merit of cases, explain legal concepts to clients, and prepare correspondence and documents to assist in the representation of clients;
- Create and maintain case files in LASP’s computer case management system, complete administrative tasks including, but not limited to, entering notes and time into the case management system;
- Manage a caseload by taking prompt action on assigned cases;
- Organize information and use technical resources so that information necessary to assist applicants and clients is easy to access and can be transferred to other staff for extended representation;
- Participate in LASP team efforts to achieve office and program goals, including program-wide affinity groups and task forces;
- Develop knowledge of relevant law and community referral resources through training, CLE, and other educational opportunities;
- Participate in assigned community outreach and education activities;
- Abide by all professional and ethical standards of excellence;
- Develop forms and run reports to ensure compliance with grants and contracts;
- Perform other duties as assigned or necessary for the effective operation of the office.
SUPERVISOR: West Chester Office Managing Attorney.
QUALIFICATIONS: Associates or bachelor’s degree. At least 2 years’ experience as a paralegal or related experience and/or training. Demonstrated proficiency in computer technology, including Microsoft products (particularly Word and Excel), electronic mail, record and timekeeping software, routine database activity, word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, etc. Excellent communication, time management and organization skills. Spanish language fluency is desirable.
LASP is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate in the recruitment, selection, or advancement of employees on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, creed, age, religion, marital status, physical handicap, political affiliation or on any other basis prohibited by law.
TO APPLY: Send resume, cover letter and writing sample to Rachel Houseman, West Chester Managing Attorney, by email to email@example.com. Position will remain open until filled.