Informational Webinar: Exploring the Impact of LNG Exports on Pennsylvania Families
Join the Pennsylvania Utility Law Project and Public Citizen for a free informational webinar on February 16, 2024 from 11:00 AM-12:00 PM Eastern.
In 2022, the cost of home energy skyrocketed – squeezing Pennsylvania households and businesses and falling hardest on low income families across our state. But why? One big contributor: Record exports of liquified natural gas (LNG) from the United States to Europe in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
On January 26, 2024, President Biden announced a temporary pause on the Department of Energy’s review of applications to build new LNG export facilities. During this temporary pause, the Department of Energy will re-examine the standard it applies when reviewing whether to approve new LNG export facilities to ensure increasing levels of LNG exports are not harming energy affordability and security here at home.
Since the announcement, there has been a rush to judgement – some lauding the decision for advancing environmental justice, others claiming the decision puts jobs and energy security at risk. But what does this “pause” actually mean for Pennsylvania?
The program will explore what every advocate needs to know about the pause on LNG exports, what it means for Pennsylvania families, and the steps ahead as the federal government reviews this critically important standard.
- Tyson Slocum, Director of Energy Programs, Public Citizen
- Elizabeth Marx, Executive Director, Pennsylvania Utility Law Project
- Public Citizen’s Primer: https://www.citizen.org/article/lng-exports-impact-on-u-s-consumers/
- White House Announcement: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2024/01/26/fact-sheet-biden-harris-administration-announces-temporary-pause-on-pending-approvals-of-liquefied-natural-gas-exports/
- Consumer Impact Study, Energy Innovation: https://energyinnovation.org/publication/completing-pending-lng-export-projects-could-raise-natural-gas-prices-for-americans-by-9-to-14-percent/
- Consumer Letter / Petition to DOE: https://www.citizen.org/wp-content/uploads/ConsumerPetitionLNGexports.pdf