Paralegal - Legal Aid of Southeastern PA, Bristol
Legal Aid of Southeastern PA (“LASP”) seeks a full-time paralegal for the Bristol Office. LASP serves low-income individuals from Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Montgomery Counties. The position is funded through December 31, 2022 by a grant from Bensalem Township to address COVID-related legal issues and other legal issues impacting economic and housing stability in Bensalem. This includes housing, consumer law, public benefits, employment, name changes and criminal records expungements, sealings and pardons.
Strong Microsoft Word and Excel skills and experience with case management systems and bankruptcy software or an ability to quickly learn these and other computer skills is required. The paralegal must be a team player, willing to handle a multitude of responsibilities as described below. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
- Interview applicants and clients to determine eligibility; issue spot, ascertain and investigate relevant facts; and conduct legal research;
- Under supervision of an attorney, triage calls, evaluate merit of cases, explain legal concepts to clients, and prepare correspondence and documents to assist in the representation of clients;
- Create and maintain case files in LASP’s computer case management system, complete administrative tasks including, but not limited to, entering notes and time into the case management system;
- Manage a caseload by taking prompt action on assigned cases;
- Organize information and use technical resources so that information necessary to assist applicants and clients is easy to access and can be transferred to other staff for extended representation;
- Participate in LASP team efforts to achieve office and program goals, including program-wide affinity groups and task forces;
- Develop knowledge of relevant law and community referral resources through training, CLE, and other educational opportunities;
- Participate in assigned community outreach and education activities;
- Abide by all professional and ethical standards of excellence;
- Develop forms and run reports to ensure compliance with grants and contracts;
- Perform other duties as assigned or necessary for the effective operation of the office.
SUPERVISOR: Managing Attorney in the Bristol Office.
QUALIFICATIONS: Associates or bachelor’s degree, or at least 2 years’ experience as a paralegal or related experience and/or training. Demonstrated proficiency in computer technology, including Microsoft products (particularly Word, Outlook and Excel), record and timekeeping software, routine database activity, etc. Excellent communication, time management and organization skills. Spanish language fluency is desirable.
LASP is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate in the recruitment, selection, or advancement of employees on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, genetic information or on any other basis prohibited by law.
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter including the job title (Bristol Paralegal (NEW10122021)) to Kesha James, Deputy Director for Advocacy at Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania by email to Hiring@lasp.org.
Position will remain open until filled.