VOCA Staff Attorney - Legal Aid of Southeastern PA, Bristol
VOCA Staff Attorney
Bristol (Bucks County) (JROS04282022)
Legal Aid of Southeastern PA (LASP) seeks an attorney for its Bristol Office to provide civil legal services to victims of domestic violence in Bucks County. The position is funded through a Victims of Crime Act (VOCA) grant administered by the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency (PCCD). LASP serves low-income individuals and families in Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery counties. This is a full-time position. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required, and COVID protocols are in place. Staff currently work on a hybrid basis depending on the current state of the Coronavirus in the service area. The successful candidate will be expected to perform in-office work as well as be able to work remotely as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Interviewing clients, assisting in determining eligibility for services, and ascertaining and investigating facts;
- Conducting legal research and interpreting statutes, case law, regulations, and other sources of law;
- Providing advice and counsel to clients, which will include responding to telephone calls to a line dedicated to victims of domestic violence seeking legal assistance in Bucks County;
- Preparing legal documents including, but not necessarily limited to: briefs, pleadings, motions, notices, correspondence, memoranda, discovery and documents responsive to discovery requests;
- Developing strategy and arguments for presentation of cases and assisting in preparation of witnesses for hearings and trials;
- Representing clients in trial and appellate courts and before quasi-judicial or administrative agencies;
- Providing support to pro bono attorneys representing victims of domestic violence;
- Reviewing decisions and consulting with management team to determine merit of potential appeals;
- Participating in external professional and community organizations relevant to casework;
- Conducting clinics, community education, outreach, and workshops and collaborating with domestic violence and victims' programs and activities to strengthen services to domestic violence victims;
- Becoming engaged in LASP team efforts to achieve office and program goals, including participation in program-wide affinity groups and task forces;
- Developing knowledge of community referral resources, particularly in the area of domestic violence, and assessing community and client needs;
- Enhancing skills and substantive knowledge through training, CLE, and other educational opportunities;
- Abiding by all applicable professional standards of ethics and practice;
- Completing required administrative tasks, including entering of notes and timekeeping in LASP case management software, and maintaining of physical files;
- Ensuring that requirements of grants and contracts which provide funding for the position are followed, including those between LASP and the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency ("PCCD"), and assisting with grant reports;
- Performing other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned.
VOCA Supervising Attorney and Bristol Office Managing Attorney.
License to practice law in Pennsylvania or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission to Pennsylvania. 0-5 years’ experience as a lawyer with relevant experience related to family law, protection from domestic violence, or related activity; Demonstrated proficiency in word processing, Outlook products, case management software, and online legal research tools; Passionate commitment to public interest law and serving low- income individuals and vulnerable populations; Strong written and oral advocacy and organizational skills. The successful candidate must be willing to accept complex and challenging cases and develop creative strategies to assist clients. Spanish language proficiency is desirable.
LASP is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate in the recruitment, selection, or advancement of employees on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, genetic information or on any other basis prohibited by law.
Send resume, writing sample and a cover letter including the job title (Bristol VOCA Staff Attorney (JROS04282022)) to Elise Wilson-Coles, Human Resources Manager, at Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania to Hiring@lasp.org. Position will remain open until filled.