Temporary Full-Time Staff Attorney – Legal Aid of Southeastern PA, Chester, PA
Legal Aid of Southeastern PA (“LASP”) seeks an attorney to provide civil legal services in housing-related matters, with a special focus on foreclosure prevention. LASP serves low-income individuals and families in Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery counties. This is a regional position based in Chester, Delaware County, and candidates must have the flexibility to handle assignments throughout LASP’s service area as the need arises. LASP has funding for the position for one year and cannot make a commitment beyond that. LASP’s Executive and Development teams regularly pursue new funding opportunities, and every effort will be made to extend the position beyond a year.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Interviewing clients, assisting in determining eligibility for services, and ascertaining and investigating facts. As this position is focused on foreclosure prevention, extensive review of mortgage documents will be expected as well as analysis of personal finances and budgeting;
- Conducting legal research and interpreting statutes, case law, regulations, and other sources of law;
- Providing advice and counsel to clients;
- Preparing legal documents, including but not necessarily limited to: briefs, pleadings, motions, notices, correspondence, memoranda, discovery and documents responsive to discovery requests;
- Developing strategy and arguments for presentation of cases and assisting in preparation of witnesses for hearings and trials;
- Representing clients in trial and appellate courts and before quasi-judicial or administrative agencies. Foreclosure advocacy may also require participation in court-based diversion and conciliation programs and negotiation;
- Reviewing decisions and consulting with supervisor to determine merit of potential appeals;
- Participating in external professional and community organizations relevant to casework;
- Conducting outreach, clinics, community education, and workshops;
- Becoming engaged in LASP team efforts to achieve office and program goals, including participation in program-wide affinity groups and task forces;
- Developing knowledge of community referral resources and assessing community and client needs;
- Enhancing skills and substantive knowledge through training, CLE, and other educational opportunities;
- Abiding by all applicable professional standards of ethics and practice;
- Completing administrative tasks including entering of notes and timekeeping in LASP case management software, and maintaining of physical files;
- Ensuring that requirements of grants and contracts which may provide funding for the position are followed, and assist with grant reports;
- Performing other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned.
SUPERVISOR: Regional Supervising Attorney or other Supervisor to be assigned;
QUALIFICATIONS: License to practice law in Pennsylvania or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission to Pennsylvania. Demonstrated proficiency in word processing, Outlook products, case management software, and online legal research tools; Passionate commitment to public interest law and serving low-income individuals and vulnerable populations; Strong written and oral advocacy and organizational skills; The successful candidate must be willing to accept complex and challenging cases and develop creative strategies to assist clients. Spanish language proficiency is desirable.
LASP is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate in the recruitment, selection, or advancement of employees on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, creed, age, religion, marital status, physical handicap, political affiliation or on any other basis prohibited by law.
TO APPLY: Send resume and writing sample to Erik Hansen, Esq. Deputy Director for Advocacy to Hiring@lasp.org. Position will remain open until filled.
Temporary Full-Time Staff Attorney – Chester, PA (NEW070119)