Staff Attorney - North Penn Legal Services, Towanda
North Penn Legal Services (NPLS) seeks lawyers and paralegals who are interested in becoming part of a regional team focused on creating access to justice for low-income residents in north and eastern Pennsylvania. NPLS serves twenty counties where our advocates provide direct representation, community outreach, clinics and participate in local community leadership roles. Support for advocacy work comes from all NPLS’ nine offices and an established statewide network.
Currently NPLS seeks to fill a third attorney position in its Towanda (Bradford County) office. The Towanda office serves clients in Bradford, Susquehanna and Tioga counties. This new attorney will join an experienced staff comprised of the managing attorney, staff attorney and paralegal.
Note: a significant portion of the compensation paid to our staff is employer paid benefits. Contact us to obtain details.
- Attorney will represent clients in variety of civil cases, in court proceedings and administrative hearings. Areas of law include Social Security, landlord-tenant, public and subsidized housing, family and dependency cases, and consumer cases, including foreclosure and bankruptcy.
- Preference for attorneys who have a demonstrated commitment to public interest work.
- Applicants will be evaluated on their oral, writing and advocacy skills as well as prior experience.
- PA Bar or by admission required.
- Inter-county travel.
- Desire applicants with one to five years in practice. Salary DOE, approx. $46,200 – $51,000
- Competitive fringe benefits including generous paid leave, health insurance and 401(k) plan.
- Frequent opportunities for professional growth and development through local, state and national trainings.
- Access to loan repayment assistance programs.
- What to Include in your application:
Please reply to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a cover letter and resume. North Penn values a diverse work environment and strongly encourages women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, people with disabilities, people who have experienced poverty or homelessness and people who have had prior contact with the juvenile, criminal, or child welfare systems to apply. NPLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
- Except as required by Sections 1006(b)(6) and 1007(a)(8) of the Legal Services Corporation Act, and Part 1616 of the Corporation Regulations, when any position for employment is available, North Penn Legal Services will seek qualified applicants without regard to color, sex, race, religion, disability, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identification, veteran’s status or any other consideration prohibited by law and will actively recruit diverse candidates for employment.
- Reference: Towanda Attorney Dec. 2018
- Go to www.northpennlegal.org/about/careers