Staff Attorney - North Penn Legal Services, Bethlehem, PA
North Penn Legal Services (NPLS) seeks staff who are interested in becoming part of a regional team focused on creating access to justice for low-income residents in northern and eastern Pennsylvania. NPLS maintains staff in 13 locations in 20 counties where our advocates provide direct representation in local, state and federal courts; community outreach; and serve with local community groups. Advocacy work is enhanced by program- and state-wide collaboration.
The Bethlehem office serves clients in Lehigh and Northampton counties. The office has an opening for an attorney to join a staff of 13 attorneys and seven paralegals.
NPLS adheres to CDC COVID safety guidelines.
Note: a significant portion of the compensation paid to our staff is employer paid benefits, including generous time off, both holidays and paid leave, and health and dental insurance with no payroll deduction and an HSA contribution. Employee may qualify and choose to elect compensation in lieu of these benefits. Contact HR for details 570.320.8712.
Attorney Needed - Bethlehem office
- Attorney will represent clients in variety of civil cases, including but not limited to housing, landlord-tenant and consumer cases, including mortgage foreclosure cases.
- Advocacy will include client representation in magisterial district justice court and court of common pleas.
- Attorney will provide clients with representation in state and federal courts and administrative proceedings.
- Attorneys will also conduct workshops and outreaches for clients and community partners.
- Desire applicants with one to five years in practice, salary $49,120 to $53,920. DOE
- Desire candidates who have experience in above areas and a demonstrated commitment to public interest work.
- Applicants will be evaluated on their oral, writing and advocacy skills as well as prior experience.
- PA Bar or by admission required.
- Ability to speak Spanish helpful.
- Inter-county travel.
- Competitive fringe benefits including generous paid leave, health insurance and 401(k) plan.
- Frequent opportunities for professional growth and development through local, state and national trainings.
- Access to loan repayment assistance and loan forgiveness programs.
What to Include in your application:
- Please reply to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications with a cover letter as well as a resume will be given preference. North Penn values a diverse work environment and strongly encourages women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, people with disabilities, people who have experienced poverty or homelessness and people who have had prior contact with the juvenile, criminal, or child welfare systems to apply.
- Except as required by Sections 1006(b)(6) and 1007(a)(8) of the Legal Services Corporation Act, and Part 1616 of the Corporation Regulations, when any position for employment is available, North Penn Legal Services will seek qualified applicants without regard to color, sex, race, religion, disability, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identification, veteran’s status or any other consideration prohibited by law and will actively recruit diverse candidates for employment.
- Reference: BethlehemAttorneyNov2021
- Go to www.northpennlegal.org/about/careers