Staff Attorney - North Penn Legal Services, Bethlehem
North Penn Legal Services (NPLS) is the regional civil legal services provider in Northeast Pennsylvania. We are a Pennsylvania non-profit organization with a mission to provide professional legal representation, advocacy, and community legal education to low-income individuals and families. We seek staff who are committed to civil legal justice issues and helping clients resolve cases related to housing, public benefits, employment issues, family law, and other areas of public interest law. NPLS maintains staff in nine offices across twenty counties, and outreach to all counties.
The Bethlehem office serves clients in Lehigh and Northampton counties. The office has an opening for an attorney to join a staff of 12 attorneys and seven paralegals.
NPLS adheres to CDC COVID safety guidelines.
Note: a significant portion of the compensation paid to our staff is employer paid benefits, including generous time off, both holidays and paid leave, and health and dental insurance with no payroll deduction and an HSA contribution. Employee may qualify and choose to elect compensation in lieu of these benefits. Contact HR for details 570.320.8712.
Attorney Needed - Bethlehem office
- Attorney will represent clients in variety of civil cases, including but not limited to housing, landlord-tenant and consumer cases, including mortgage foreclosure cases.
- Advocacy will include client representation in magisterial district justice court and court of common pleas.
- Attorney will provide clients with representation in state and federal courts and administrative proceedings.
- Attorneys will also conduct workshops and outreaches for clients and community partners.
- Desire applicants with one to five years in practice, salary $55,490 to $60,290 DOE.
- Desire candidates who have experience in above areas and a demonstrated commitment to public interest work.
- Applicants will be evaluated on their oral, writing and advocacy skills as well as prior experience.
- PA Bar or by admission required.
- Ability to speak Spanish helpful.
- Inter-county travel.
- Full-time position includes competitive fringe benefits including generous paid leave, health insurance and 401(k) plan.
- Part-time attorney considered if willing to move to full-time employment.
- Frequent opportunities for professional growth and development through local, state and national trainings.
- Access to loan repayment assistance and loan forgiveness programs.
What to Include in your application:
- Please reply to email@example.com. When responding, please include a statement about your specific interest in public interest law and how our position meets your goals. Applications with a cover letter as well as a resume will be given preference.
- North Penn values a diverse work environment and strongly encourages women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, people with disabilities, people who have experienced poverty or homelessness and people who have had prior contact with the juvenile, criminal, or child welfare systems to apply.
- Except as required by Sections 1006(b)(6) and 1007(a)(8) of the Legal Services Corporation Act, and Part 1616 of the Corporation Regulations, when any position for employment is available, North Penn Legal Services will seek qualified applicants without regard to color, sex, race, religion, disability, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identification, veteran’s status or any other consideration prohibited by law and will actively recruit diverse candidates for employment.
- Applications reviewed until position filled.
- Reference: BethlehemAttorneyFebruary2024
- Go to Careers : Who We Are : North Penn Legal Services (nplspa.org)