Staff Attorney - Neighborhood Legal Services, Pittsburgh
Neighborhood Legal Services-NLS (www.nlsa.us) is seeking a full-time Staff Attorney for our Pittsburgh, PA office to provide the highest quality of legal representation and handle all functions related to casework in a high-volume, general law practice. NLS is the major provider of free civil legal aid to low-income, elderly, and abused individuals in our four-county service area. The Staff Attorney will work with attorneys, paralegals, social workers, students, and others on cases or projects; engage in/encourage community education; participate in the local bar association; participate in fundraising efforts, and cooperate with NLS management to ensure compliance with all regulations and funding requirements of the program. This is a bargaining unit position.
- Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania, or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission in Pennsylvania;
- At least five years of experience practicing general law;
- Computer knowledge and appropriate use of Word, Excel, Microsoft Outlook, and PowerPoint;
- Demonstrated Organizational Skills;
- Must have efficient transportation to locations other than the NLSA office as needed for work
- Maintains a caseload.
- Performs legal research and prepares memoranda, pleadings, discovery, motions, appeals, and interrogatories and keeps Managing Attorney advised of case statuses.
- Evaluates the strengths and weaknesses of cases and prepares cases for presentation in court as needed.
- Negotiates case resolution with opposing parties, opposing attorneys and the guardian ad items.
- Appears in State and Federal courts for motions, trials, arguments, hearings, rules to show cause, pre-trial conferences, status conferences, roster/docket sounding and appeals.
- Fills in for other attorneys as needed.
- Meet with partner agencies and local community/agency advocates. Attends required meetings and seminars.
- Consults with other attorneys and attend staff meetings and training seminars as required.
- Maintains knowledge and skills in current case decisions and legislation.
- Attends training sessions on current legal updates and reads legal materials to update professional knowledge.
- Organizes and maintains files and records of a confidential, complex, or otherwise sensitive nature.
- Coordinates conducts and/or participates in community outreach events.
- Performs all other duties as may be requested by the Managing Attorney, Director of Advocacy, Director of Program Performance and Compliance of Litigation Coordinator or Executive Director.
- Salary is dependent on experience in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
In addition to a fair salary, this position also includes:
- Free medical insurance through Highmark for employee and their family
- Free dental insurance through Highmark for employee and their family
- $625- $1250 employer contribution to an HRA plan for employee and their family
- Employer match up to 2.5% in our 403b plan through Alerus (with 3% employee contribution)
- 14 sick days in the first year (prorated by fiscal year)
- 15 vacation days in the first year (prorated by fiscal year)
- 15 paid holidays a year
- 3 personal days a year (prorated by the calendar year)