Staff Attorney - Neighborhood Legal Services, New Castle
STAFF ATTORNEY – New Castle Office #211
Neighborhood Legal Services (NLS) is a nonprofit law firm fighting for justice for our low-income clients—come be part of the solution! Demanding work in a supportive and collaborative atmosphere.
NLS seeks to hire a general practice staff attorney who will handle civil advice and litigation for housing, consumer law, and all general areas of the practice of law needed to advise, consult and represent our clients.
Department: Legal Services
Reports to: Managing Attorney
The Staff Attorney provides the highest quality of legal representation and handles all functions related to case work in a high-volume, general law practice. Legal representation may include providing advice, limited services, referral, and/or extended representation. As with all NLS staff attorneys the candidate will fulfill all the duties and responsibilities of an NLS staff attorney. The legal areas may change as client needs and funding requirements change.
- Screen clients for eligibility and make referrals, as needed;
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients;
- Conduct factual investigation, analysis, and legal research, as needed;
- Develop case theory and strategy for the representation;
- Keep clients informed on an ongoing basis and provide counsel about their options;
- Prepare pleadings, including but not limited to, complaints, answers, memoranda of law, briefs as may be needed;
- Prepare cases and represent clients in negotiations, hearings, trials, and appeals;
- Monitor client files and close files in a timely manner as required by program policy;
- Enter time in a timely manner pursuant to program policy;
- Maintain case files in accordance with NLSA standards.
- Provide outreach to our communities and participate in professional organizations.
- Stay current on the law.
- Strong computer knowledge and skills. Strong in Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong organizational skills and attention to details.
- Excellent interpersonal and client service skills
- Must have efficient transportation to locations other than the NLSA office as needed for work;
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission in Pennsylvania;
- Receive specialized training on domestic and sexual violence dynamics and the impact of trauma so as to provide client services.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
SEND LETTER OF INTEREST, RESUME AND WRITING SAMPLE TO HR@NLSA.US