Staff Attorney - Neighborhood Legal Services, Butler County
Neighborhood Legal Services (www.nlsa.us) is seeking a full time staff attorney for our Butler, PA office to provide the highest quality legal representation and to handle all functions related to casework in a high volume, general law practice.
All staff attorney assignments may change as clients’ needs change.
NLS is the major provider of civil legal aid to low-income, elderly and abused individuals in our four-county service area. The staff attorney will work with attorneys, paralegals, social workers, students and others on cases or projects, engage in and support community education, participate in the local bar association, participate in fundraising efforts, and cooperate with NLS management to ensure compliance with all regulations and funding requirements of the program. This is a bargaining unit position.
- admitted to practice in Pennsylvania, or eligible for admission in Pennsylvania
- at least five years of experience practicing general law; experience in particular substantive areas of law for current opening is preferred
- computer knowledge and appropriate use of Word, Excel, Microsoft Outlook and PowerPoint
- demonstrated organizational skills
- must have efficient transportation to locations other than the NLS office, as needed for work
- excellent writing skills
- maintains a caseload
- performs legal research and prepares memoranda, pleadings, discovery, motions, appeals, interrogatories and any documents as needed in a case; keeps the Managing Attorney advised of the status of cases
- evaluates the strengths and weaknesses of cases and prepares cases for presentation in court as needed
- negotiates case resolution with opposing parties, opposing counsel and any guardian ad litem
- appears in State and Federal courts for motions, trials, arguments, hearings, rules to show cause, status conferences, roster/docket sounding and appeals
- fills in for other attorneys as needed
- meets with partner agencies and local community/agency advocates. Attends required meetings and seminars
- consults with other attorneys and attends staff meetings and training seminars as required
- maintains knowledge and skills in current case decisions and legislation
- attends training sessions on current legal updates and reads legal materials to update professional knowledge
- organizes and maintains files and records of a confidential, complex or otherwise sensitive nature
- coordinates, conducts, or otherwise participates in community outreach events
- performs all other duties as may be requested by the Managing Attorney, Director of Advocacy, Director of Program Performance and Compliance, Litigation Coordinator or Executive Director
- salary is dependent on experience in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement; starting salary for a new law graduate is $45,000
- excellent benefits including health care, dental, 403b match, generous vacation, holidays, sick and personal days
How to Apply
Email cover letter, resume, three work references and a relevant writing sample to Catherine Martin, Director of Advocacy: email@example.com. Interviews will begin shortly.
NLS is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer committed to the value of workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veterans, genetic information, or sexual orientation.