Staff Attorney - MidPenn Legal Services, Reading
Who We Are
MidPenn Legal Services is a civil legal aid law firm dedicated to providing high quality free legal representation to low-income individuals and victims of domestic and sexual violence across an 18-county area in south central Pennsylvania. Our vision is to advance access to justice to individuals who face social, economic and racial barriers in this geographic region through representation at all levels of the legal system in the areas of public benefits, landlord-tenant, foreclosure, consumer, family and elder law.
The Staff Attorney position is full-time and will consult, advise and represent income eligible individuals in a variety of substantive areas related to housing, consumer, public benefits and family law in Reading, Pennsylvania. The position requires the attorney to provide community education and outreach about MidPenn services.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual who is passionate and strongly committed to helping the disadvantaged in our community.
- Law degree and license to practice law in Pennsylvania with one to four years of experience preferred;
- Excellent written and oral communication, negotiation, and analytical skills;
- Interest and ability to work with a diverse client population of varying social, educational, racial and ethnic backgrounds;
- Strong legal research skills and familiarity with online legal research (preferably Westlaw)
- Demonstrated initiative and interest in learning and exploring different legal areas
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team, prioritize responsibilities and manage and meet time-sensitive deadlines;
- Bilingual ability (English/ Spanish) is preferred but not required.
- Courtroom and/or administrative hearing experience (preferred)
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel and Outlook.
Compensation and Benefits
MidPenn Legal Services is an equal opportunity employer. Salary is commensurate with years of experience based on a scale governed by our collective bargaining agreement. The current salary range for an attorney with 1-4 years of experience is $54,590 -$60,003.
MidPenn also provides excellent fringe benefits, including:
- Health and Dental insurance (employer pays 85% of the premium)
- Short and Long Disability Insurance
- 14 paid Holidays per year
- 4 days paid personal leave
- 12 days paid annual leave in the first year
- Up to 84 hours of paid sick leave
- 403(b) retirement benefit with employer contribution after one year of employment
- MidPenn is a loan repayment assistance program eligible employer
- Attorney fees for licensing, local and state bar memberships and malpractice insurance
How to Apply
Interested persons should email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to:
Rhodia Thomas, Executive Director
MidPenn Legal Services