Staff Attorney (Medical-Legal Partnership) - North Penn Legal Services, Williamsport
North Penn Legal Services has an immediate opening for an attorney to be part of the Williamsport staff but working at River Valley Health and Dental Center as a Medical-Legal Partnership attorney. A medical-legal partnership allows medical providers to refer patients with health-harming legal needs to an advocate located at the medical facility.
NPLS seeks lawyers who are interested in becoming part of a regional team focused on creating access to justice for low-income residents in northeast Pennsylvania. NPLS serves twenty counties where advocates provide direct representation, community outreach, and serve on local community groups. Support for advocacy work comes from all NPLS’ ten offices and an established statewide network.
The Williamsport office serves Lycoming, Clinton, and Tioga counties. The attorney hired for this position will join three other experienced staff attorneys and an experienced paralegal in the provision of legal services.
Note: a significant portion of the compensation paid to staff is employer- paid benefits, including generous time off, both holidays and paid leave, and significant coverage of health insurance premiums and an HSA contribution. Contact HR for details 570.320.8712.
Staff Attorney Needed –Medical-Legal Partnership - Williamsport
- Attorney will play a vital role in improving the health of low-income individuals by providing timely essential legal services.
- Preference for candidates with medical/legal experience or health advocacy and who wish to help develop this new program.
- Demonstrated commitment to serving interests of low income people.
- Prior practice experience with public benefits, housing, utility law, SSI and family law helpful.
- Will represent clients in court proceedings and administrative hearings.
- Bilingual in Spanish helpful.
- PA Bar or by admission required.
- Prefer applicants with two to three years of experience.
- Salary DOE. For example, an attorney with three years’ experience would earn $48,600.
- Competitive fringe benefits.
- Resumes accepted until position filled.
- Frequent opportunities for professional growth and development through local, state and national trainings.
- This is a public interest position that may qualify for loan repayment assistance programs through the Legal Services Corporation, PA IOLTA, law schools as well as PSLF (Public Service Loan Forgiveness).
What to Include in your application:
Please reply to email@example.com. Include a cover letter and resume. North Penn values a diverse work environment and strongly encourages women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, people with disabilities, people who have experienced poverty or homelessness and people who have had prior contact with the juvenile, criminal, or child welfare systems to apply. NPLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
- Ref. AttorneyWilliamsportMLP
- Go to www.northpennlegal.org/about/careers
Except as required by Sections 1006(b)(6) and 1007(a)(8) of the Legal Services Corporation Act, and Part 1616 of the Corporation Regulations, when any position for employment is available, North Penn Legal Services will seek qualified applicants without regard to color, sex, race, religion, disability, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identification, veteran status or any other consideration prohibited by law and will actively recruit diverse candidates for employment.