Staff Attorney – Legal Aid of Southeastern PA, Pottstown (Montgomery County), PA
Pottstown (Montgomery County), PA (NEW11232022)
Legal Aid of Southeastern PA (“LASP”) seeks an attorney to provide civil legal services in its Pottstown Office in Montgomery County. LASP serves individuals with low incomes in Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery counties. This position has focused previously on representing clients facing issues regarding housing, public benefits and child welfare. The new hire may also be expected to provide assistance in other LASP practice areas such as bankruptcy, expungements, protection from domestic violence, family law and other cases as assigned.
This position is full-time. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required. Applicants may apply for a medical or religious exemption. Staff currently work on a hybrid basis depending on the current state of the Coronavirus in the service area. The successful candidate will be expected to perform in-office work as well as be able to work remotely as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Interviewing clients, assisting in determining eligibility for services, and ascertaining and investigating facts;
- Conducting legal research and interpreting statutes, case law, regulations, and other sources of law;
- Providing advice and counsel to clients;
- Preparing legal documents, including but not necessarily limited to: briefs, pleadings, motions, notices, correspondence, memoranda, discovery and documents responsive to discovery requests;
- Developing strategy and arguments for presentation of cases and assisting in preparation of witnesses for hearings and trials;
- Representing clients at hearings, in trial and appellate courts, and before quasi-judicial or administrative agencies;
- Reviewing decisions and consulting with LASP’s management team to determine the merit of potential appeals;
- Participating in external professional and community organizations relevant to casework;
- Conducting clinics, community education, and workshops;
- Becoming engaged in LASP team efforts to achieve office and program goals, including participation in program-wide affinity groups and task forces;
- Developing knowledge of community referral resources and assessing community and client needs;
- Enhancing skills and substantive knowledge through training, CLE, and other educational opportunities;
- Abiding by all applicable professional standards of ethics and practice;
- Completing required administrative tasks including entering of notes and timekeeping in LASP case management software, and maintaining of physical files;
- Ensuring that requirements of grants and contracts which may provide funding for the position are met, and assisting with grant reports;
- Performing other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned.
Pottstown Office Managing Attorney.
License to practice law in Pennsylvania or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission to Pennsylvania. At least two (2) years’ experience as a lawyer preferred; demonstrated proficiency in word processing, Outlook products, case management software, and online legal research tools; Passionate commitment to public interest law and serving low-income individuals and vulnerable populations; Strong written and oral advocacy and organizational skills; The successful candidate must be willing to accept complex and challenging cases and develop creative strategies to assist clients.
LASP is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate in the recruitment, selection, or advancement of employees on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, genetic information or on any other basis prohibited by law.
Send resume, cover letter and writing sample, including the job title (Staff Attorney – Pottstown), to Elise Wilson-Coles, Human Resources Manager at Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania by email to Hiring@lasp.org. Position will remain open until filled.