Staff Attorney - Legal Aid of SE PA, Doylestown/Bucks County
Legal Aid of Southeastern PA ("LASP") seeks an attorney to provide family law civil legal services in its Doylestown office. The attorney will represent parents in dependency and termination of parental rights cases, expungements, individuals seeking protection from abuse orders, individuals seeking custody orders, and may handle other cases as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Interview clients, assist in determining eligibility for services, and ascertain and investigate facts;
- Conduct legal research and interpret statutes, case law, regulations, and other sources of law;
- Provide advice and counsel to clients;
- Prepare legal documents, including but not necessarily limited to: briefs, pleadings, motions, notices, correspondence, memoranda, discovery and documents responsive to discovery requests:
- Develop strategy and arguments for presentation of cases and assist in preparation of witnesses for hearings and trials;
- Represent clients in trial and appellate courts and before quasi-judicial or administrative agencies;
- Review decisions and consult with supervisor to determine merit of potential appeals;
- Participate in external professional and community organizations relevant to casework;
- Conduct clinics, community education, and workshops;
- Become engaged in LASP team efforts to achieve office and program goals, including participation in program-wide affinity groups and task forces;
- Develop knowledge of community referral resources and assess community and client needs;
- Develop skills and substantive knowledge through training, CLE, and other educational opportunities;
- Abide by all applicable professional standards of ethics and practice;
- Complete administrative tasks including entering of notes and timekeeping in LASP case management software, and maintaining of physical files;
- Ensure that requirements of grants and contracts which may provide funding for the position are followed, and assist with grant reports;
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned.
SUPERVISOR: Managing Attorney in Doylestown office:
QUALIFICATIONS: License to practice law in Pennsylvania or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission to Pennsylvania. 0-5 years experience as a lawyer; Demonstrated proficiency in word processing, Outlook products, case management software, and online legal research tools; Passionate commitment to public interest law and serving low-income individuals and vulnerable populations; Strong written and oral advocacy and organizational skills; The successful candidate must be willing to accept complex and challenging cases and develop creative strategies to assist clients. Spanish language proficiency is desirable.
LASP is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief.
TO APPLY: Send resume and writing sample to Kesha James, Esq., Deputy Director for Advocacy, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will remain open until filled.