Staff Attorney - Community Action Partnership, Lancaster
Lancaster, PA, US
|Salary Range: $65,000.00 Annually Onwards|
|Position Title: Staff Attorney FT LAV||Classification: Exempt|
|Program: Domestic Violence Services||Location: DV Legal Center (DVLC) offices|
Managing Attorney/DVLC Coordinator
|Number of People Supervised: 0|
The Staff Attorney provides legal representation to victims of domestic violence and sexual assault in civil legal matters under the direct supervision of the Managing Attorney and in collaboration with other DVLC staff and the YWCA/Sexual Assault Prevention and Counseling Center (SAPCC). Performs all job functions in a manner that is trauma-informed, culturally competent, and consistent with CAP/DVS mission, values, and policies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide holistic legal consultations that include recommendation and referrals to address legal and non-legal issues associated with the clients’ needs.
- Provide emergency legal information, consultation and representation to victims of domestic violence and sexual assault in civil legal matters, including domestic relations matters and Title IX and other related matters on local college and university campuses.
- Perform limited clerical functions associated with representation, including client correspondence, attorney correspondence, legal research, preparation of necessary documents and court documents for filing.
- Maintain appropriate client files, statistical records and reports to legal standards and as required by funding sources, the Managing Attorney, and the Director.
- Maintain Continuing Legal Education (CLE) credits as required and complete 10 hours of DV/Victims’ services training annually.
- Work collaboratively with other DVS and DVLC staff to address the clients’ holistic needs. Participate in staff and case review meetings.
- Collaborate with SAPCC Legal Advocate and team members to enhance the LAV partnership.
- Participate in training and networking activities that inform representation of victims of DV and SA, including the PCADV Attorney Network, DVS and YWCA SAPCC trainings, and other related committees and events, to build expertise in domestic violence and sexual assault.
EDUCATION, SKILLS & RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE
Juris Doctor degree and two years of experience in Family Law. Must be admitted to practice law in Pennsylvania. Must possess strong leadership skills, organizational abilities, and written and verbal communications skills. Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs required. Social justice mindset. Strong desire to participate in an empowering culture that celebrates diversity. Bilingual skills are a plus but not required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to communicate in English sufficiently to process and follow directions.
- Ability to print or write English legibly and accurately.
- Ability to competently operate office equipment (i.e. copier, fax, telephone, etc.)
- Fine motor skills for effective and efficient handling of computer keyboard and other related office equipment.
- Work endurance ability to work required scheduled hours per day.
- Ability to sit/walk/stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 15 lbs. occasionally.
- Able to perform job functions in environment with moderate noise levels.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS (List as a 5% of total work time)
- Up to 5% - 10%
- Travel to outside events, trainings or meetings