Part Time Staff Attorney - Face to Face Legal Center, Philadelphia
Face to Face, Inc. is a comprehensive social service organization in the Germantown section of Philadelphia. Face to Face serves hundreds of people in need each year through its Dining Room, Health Center, Social Services Center, Educational Stability and Family Engagement Program, Legal Center and “washeteria.” Through an approach of hospitality, mutuality, and transformation, we provide a safe environment and practical tools through which our clients can confront personal challenges, empower their lives, and fulfill their unique potential.
The Face to Face Legal Center provides high quality legal services to low-income people in the greater Germantown neighborhood. The Face to Face Legal Center handles cases related to housing (homeowners and renters), SSI/SSDI and government benefits, access to vital documents, guardianship, basic estate planning and criminal record expungements.
This is a 22-hour per week position which will include 4 hours on a Saturday at least one time per month.
- Provide civil legal representation, including interviewing clients, conducting research, negotiating case resolutions, and handling cases in both administrative and civil court proceedings.
- Handle a significant volume of criminal record expungements.
- Plan and execute birth certificate clinics. Supervise a paralegal who focuses on birth certificate procurement.
- Recruit, train and supervise volunteer attorneys and legal interns.
- Organize and execute legal clinics.
- Collaborate with other Face to Face programs to ensure the seamless delivery of services.
- Report on the Legal Center’s outcomes and growth.
- Attend biweekly staff meetings and the organization’s annual retreat.
- Collaborate and form relationships with legal and non-legal service providers.
- 3+ years of public interest experience in one or more of the practice areas listed above.
- Commitment to or experience with holistic representation.
- Excellent analytical abilities.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Experience independently juggling multiple projects with competing deadlines.
- Experience working with a diverse set of clients, including low-income clients, homeless clients and clients with mental illness.
- Commitment to advancing racial equity.
- Admission to the PA Bar.
Face to Face is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from people of color, women, people who identify as LGBTQ, people who have experienced poverty or homelessness and people who have had contact with the juvenile justice, criminal justice or child welfare systems.
Interested applications should send a cover letter, resume, list of 3 references as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted and interviews conducted on a rolling basis until position filled.