Paralegals (Disability Advocacy) - North Penn Legal Services, Bethlehem and Bloomsburg
North Penn Legal Services is currently seeking applicants for Paralegal-Disablity Advocacy positions in its Bethlehem and Bloomsburg offices.
The Bethlehem office serves Lehigh and Northampton counties and currently has a staff of 13 attorneys and six paralegals. The Bloomsburg office serves clients in Columbia and Montour counties and currently has a two-attorney staff.
NPLS seeks lawyers and paralegals who are interested in becoming part of a regional team focused on creating access to justice for low-income residents in north and eastern Pennsylvania. NPLS serves twenty counties where advocates provide direct representation, community outreach, clinics and serve on local community groups. Support for advocacy work comes from all NPLS’ ten offices and an established statewide network.
The paralegal positions to be filled will focus on advice and representation for clients seeking disability benefits such as Supplemental Social Security income (SSI) as well as public benefits. The advocate will help with outreach and community education, along with clinics for those seeking help with applications for disability benefits.
Key responsibilities includes obtaining medical records, preparing clients for hearings, and providing representation at administrative law hearings. Paralegals work under the supervision of an attorney and may assist clients in a broad range of cases.
- The preferred candidate will have some prior paralegal or social work experience and be able to demonstrate a commitment to serving the interests of low-income people.
- Salary DOE. For instance, a paralegal credited with three years’ experience would earn $28,210.
Note: a significant portion of the compensation paid to staff is employer-paid benefits. Contact HR at NPLS at 570.320.8712 to obtain details.
- Please visit http://www.northpennlegal.org/about/careers to read more about the specific details relating to each position offered by North Penn Legal Services.
What to Include in your application:
Please reply to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a cover letter and resume. North Penn values a diverse work environment and strongly encourages women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, people with disabilities, people who have experienced poverty or homelessness and people who have had prior contact with the juvenile, criminal, or child welfare systems to apply.
NPLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
- Resumes accepted until position filled.
- Except as required by Sections 1006(b)(6) and 1007(a)(8) of the Legal Services Corporation Act, and Part 1616 of the Corporation Regulations, when any position for employment is available, North Penn Legal Services will seek qualified applicants without regard to color, sex, race, religion, disability, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identification, veteran’s status or any other consideration prohibited by law and will actively recruit diverse candidates for employment.
- Please reference appropriate position in your application:
- Bethlehem: Ref. BethlehemParalegalNov2019
- Bloomsburg: Ref. BloomsburgParalegalNov2019