Paralegal – North Penn Legal Services (Medical-Legal Partnership) - Williamsport
North Penn Legal Services (NPLS), a nonprofit corporation, seeks lawyers and paralegals who are interested in becoming part of a regional team to carry out its mission: to resolve civil legal problems and empower vulnerable populations through professional legal representation, advocacy and education. NPLS serves twenty counties in northeast PA. Support for advocacy work comes from all NPLS’ eleven locations and an established statewide network.
Currently NPLS is recruiting a paralegal to be part of the Williamsport staff and to work closely with a full-time attorney in a new Medical-Legal Advocacy Partnership (MLP). The primary work location for this position will be at River Valley Health and Dental Center with some work time spent in community outreach, client advocacy and in NPLS’ Williamsport office.
This office serves Lycoming, Clinton, and Tioga counties. The paralegal hired for this position will join the Williamsport staff consisting of four experienced staff attorneys and an experienced paralegal in the provision of legal services.
Note: a significant portion of the compensation paid to NPLS staff is employer paid benefits, including generous time off, both holidays and paid leave, and significant coverage of health insurance premiums and a HSA contribution. Contact HR for details 570.320.8712.
Paralegal Needed – Medical-Legal Partnership - Williamsport
- The preferred candidate will have some prior paralegal or social work experience and be able to demonstrate a commitment to serving the interests of low-income people.
- A candidate with health-related advocacy experience and the ability to speak Spanish is desired.
- Paralegal will screen clients for eligibility.
- Under attorney supervision, will provide legal help to clients in areas such as public benefits, housing, utilities, SSI, and family law.
- Paralegal will represent client in administrative forums such as Social Security hearings, welfare and unemployment compensation hearings before Administrative law Judges.
- Salary DOE. For instance, a paralegal credited with three years’ experience would earn an annual salary of $30,300.
What to Include in your application:
Please reply to email@example.com. Include a cover letter and resume. North Penn values a diverse work environment and strongly encourages women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, people with disabilities, people who have experienced poverty or homelessness and people who have had prior contact with the juvenile, criminal, or child welfare systems to apply. NPLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice. All applications are confidential.
- Ref. ParalegalWilliamsportMLP
- Go to www.northpennlegal.org/about/careers
Except as required by Sections 1006(b)(6) and 1007(a)(8) of the Legal Services Corporation Act, and Part 1616 of the Corporation Regulations, when any position for employment is available, North Penn Legal Services will seek qualified applicants without regard to color, sex, race, religion, disability, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identification, veteran status or any other consideration prohibited by law and will actively recruit diverse candidates for employment.