Paralegal - North Penn Legal Services, Bethlehem
North Penn Legal Services (NPLS) seeks lawyers and paralegals who are interested in becoming part of a regional team focused on creating access to justice for low-income residents in north and eastern Pennsylvania. NPLS serves twenty counties where our advocates provide direct representation, community outreach, clinics and serve on local community groups. Support for advocacy work comes from all NPLS’ nine offices and an established statewide network.
Currently in Bethlehem we have an immediate opening for a paralegal to focus on unemployment compensation and bankruptcy cases. This paralegal will join a staff of nine attorneys and three paralegals. Paralegals work under the supervision of an attorney and assist clients in a broad range of cases.
Note: a significant portion of the compensation paid to our staff is employer paid benefits. Contact us to obtain details.
- The preferred candidate will have some prior paralegal or social work experience and be able to demonstrate a commitment to serving the interests of low-income people.
- Position could include helping to file bankruptcies; representing clients at administrative hearings such as unemployment compensation and Social Security ; assisting with housing advice
- Preference will be given to candidates with advocacy experience.
- The ability to speak Spanish is beneficial but not required.
- Salary DOE. For instance, a paralegal credited with three years’ experience would earn $28,210
- Go http://www.northpennlegal.org/about/careers to read more about North Penn Legal Services.
- What to Include in your application:
Please reply to email@example.com. Include a cover letter and resume. North Penn values a diverse work environment and strongly encourages women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, people with disabilities, people who have experienced poverty or homelessness and people who have had prior contact with the juvenile, criminal, or child welfare systems to apply. NPLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
- Resumes accepted until position filled.
- Except as required by Sections 1006(b)(6) and 1007(a)(8) of the Legal Services Corporation Act, and Part 1616 of the Corporation Regulations, when any position for employment is available, North Penn Legal Services will seek qualified applicants without regard to color, sex, race, religion, disability, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identification, veteran’s status or any other consideration prohibited by law and will actively recruit diverse candidates for employment.
- Ref. Bethlehem Paralegal Dec. 2018