Managing Attorney - Neighborhood Legal Services
|Job Title:||Managing Attorney|
|Department:||Legal – Advocacy & Client Services|
|Reports to:||Director of Advocacy/Client Services and Director of Performance and Compliance|
The Managing Attorney role will assure the highest quality of legal representation by the office . This position will have a focus on Housing matters for NLS and its clients. This individual will manage and provide leadership to attorneys and paralegals; engage in/encourage impact representation when possible; engage in/encourage litigation planning and strategy; engage in/encourage community education, bar association participation, fundraising participation; and work with the Director of Performance and Compliance to ensure compliance with all regulations and funding requirements of the program.
- Directly manage and monitor all legal and non-legal staff in the office with a focus on housing issues, including all human resource actions and recommendations
- Consult with the Directors regarding hiring, discipline, grievances, and related matters arising from the Collective Bargaining Agreement;
- Manage employees’ time management requests including leave, compensatory and flex time.
- Responsible for performance management and employee development. Monitor timekeeping and approve time sheets of staff under their supervision ;
- Redeploy office staff and reassign cases as necessary
- Manage staff’s responses and interactions with clients including response timeliness, courteous behaviors and appropriate handling of client matters and problems;
- Contribute and promote a healthy, productive and positive work environment;
- Provide training to staff on a day-to-day basis;
- Evaluate and manage the performance and capability of the attorneys, paralegals, and all staff assigned;
- Attend and contribute to Management Meetings and Trainings;
- Provide support to the Director of Program Performance and Compliance as required for report preparation and funding applications;
- Contribute and assist in development and execution of presentations, procedures, and policies as necessary;
- Review and close client files;
- Assist in the maintenance of SharePoint and the Eligibility Manual;
- Collaborate and Implement on personnel directives as required;
- Collaborate and contribute to training development and with special projects as assigned;
- Further local Bench/Bar relations by participating in local and state bar committees at the direction of the Executive Director;
- Spokesperson for NLS and participate in community forums as NLS representative;
- Provide recruitment support for the Private Attorney Involvement (PAI) Program;
- Contribute to the development of legal education activities for the legal services and local bar communities;
- Coordinate with the local legal and client community in the establishment of office goals and priorities;
- Participate in fundraising activities at the direction of the Executive Director;
LEGAL REPRESENTATION DUTIES
- Provide limited legal representation to eligible individuals and groups;
- Engage in representation on matters that affect the client community and/or which seek to effectuate systematic change in conditions that adversely affect the client community;
- Where appropriate and/or necessary serve as co-counsel or mentor;
- Develop and implement systematic approaches to legal problem solving;
- Work with the Executive Director to oversee the function and maintenance of the physical plant;
- Work with the administration to ensure that the office has adequate supplies;
- Develop legal education activities in the Legal Services and local Bar communities;
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent sales and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduation from an accredited law school;
- 10 years of legal experience;
- Admission Pennsylvania Bar Association;
- Demonstrated supervisory capabilities;
- Administrative experience is preferred;
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Resumes and any supporting materials should be submitted to:
Human Resource Manager
NLSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer