Legal Director of Grants and Compliance - Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network, Inc.
Legal Director of Grants & Compliance
Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network (PLAN, Inc). is a client-centered nonprofit organization established to improve the availability and quality of civil legal aid for low-income people across Pennsylvania. PLAN supports a statewide consortium of 15 independently run regional and specialty legal aid programs. It coordinates the delivery of civil legal assistance to the Pennsylvanians who need it most. PLAN advocates for and delivers funding for the network, supports the programs delivering legal aid through training and technical assistance, and ensures effective use of funds.
The Legal Director of Grants & Compliance is a new full-time position devoted to grant program administration, compliance and management including preparation, submission, compliance monitoring and reporting on all PLAN, Inc. local, private, state, and federal grants and providing support and compliance guidance to the regional and specialty programs. As Legal Director of Grants & Compliance you will be responsible for a high level of compliance work, grants administration and project management.
- Overseeing and monitoring the implementation of the compliance program
- Developing an annual compliance work plan and calendar
- Conduct regular audits of LSP’s to ensure compliance
- Monitors Federal and State Bar legal opinions and compliance updates
- Knowledge of and interpretation of LSC regulations and other LSC directives directly relevant to Case Service Reports (CSRs), private attorney involvement, eligibility, and other issues related to the PLAN, Inc.-supported LegalServer application
- Develop policies to ensure organizational compliance and implementation
- Maintain all relevant document files necessary for compliance
- Providing guidance, advice, and compliance trainings
Case Management & Allocations
- Work closely with the Director of Finance to ensure proper categorization and allocation
- Coordinate and lead ongoing LSP training on case management system and time keeping
- Responsible for developing and overseeing data policies
- Ensures adequacy, accuracy, and legitimacy of data
- Runs data reports regularly to ensure organizational efficiency and effectiveness
- Responsible for information systems implementation and integrations
- Prepare the monitoring schedule, checklists, templates, and internal PLAN, Inc’s process and agreed upon protocols with funders
- Select LSPs case samples for monitoring
- Conduct elements of monitoring related to contract, regulatory, and administrative compliance, and technology, LegalServer, and case data integrity
- Prepare the final reports consistent with the PLAN, Inc. internal monitoring protocols
- Review sections of monitoring reports as prepared by other members of the monitoring team and making recommendations on content relevant to compliance
- Provide technical assistance, in collaboration with the monitoring team, to the LSPs in areas that are relevant to monitoring finding
- Track required corrective action issues and reporting on progress as required
- Conduct quarterly, semiannual, and annual grant reporting
- Lead reporting efforts for all grants, including federal and state government funding
- Coordinate with legal service programs (LSPs) and staff to collect relevant report related information Prepare grant renewal applications
- Seek and apply for new grant opportunities in collaboration with PLAN, Inc staff and network
- The Legal Director of Grants & Compliance will Directly supervise employees within the legal grants & compliance department.
- This position reports directly to the Executive Director and is a member of the Leadership Team.
- Other duties as assigned.
IDEAL SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, AND COMPETENCIES:
A law degree from an accredited university • 10+ years’ experience in administration of grants at a non-profit organization. • 10+ years’ experience working in legal-aid, legal services, or other public interest equivalent organization. • Interpersonal abilities that are professional and discreet and the ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of personalities with assertiveness and diplomacy. • Attention to detail, punctuality, reliability. • Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and meet strict deadlines. • Ability to work independently, as part of a team, and to take initiative. • Strong work ethic and able to work long hours when required. • Excellent organizational, written, and oral communication skills. • Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 and case management systems. • Willingness to travel (overnight stays may be required). • Commitment to providing high quality legal services to low-income and underrepresented persons • Relevant job or educational experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the job.
Preferred: • Public interest law, and/or non-profit administration strongly preferred. Thorough knowledge of, or the capacity to quickly learn, the organization’s office equipment, recordkeeping systems, management information systems, and related processes. • Experience with Legal Services Corporation (LSC), or other large private, state, or federal grant funders. • Experience with Legal Server Case Management Software.
This position affords hybrid work. Ability to travel throughout the State of Pennsylvania for in person monitoring and compliance is required. Should business needs require physical presence, teleworking will not be possible.
This is a full time Mid-Senior level position with a salary range of $90,000.00 - $115,000.00. Staff are offered excellent benefits, including health, dental, vision insurance, life, and disability insurance, along with retirement benefits.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To receive full consideration, candidates are urged to submit their application by November 28, 2022. The ideal candidate will be able to start working on January 2, 2023.
Applicants should e-mail a resume with a cover letter that explains interest and qualifications in the Legal Director of Grants & Compliance, and why you feel you could be successful in the position. Applications should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We seek to build diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging within our organization, throughout our network, and in partnership and allyship with the communities we serve.