Immigrant Crime Victim Supervising Attorney - HIAS Pennsylvania
Job Title: Immigrant Crime Victim Supervising Attorney
Supervisor: Managing Attorney
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience
This position is contingent on grant funding. Applications will be received on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The successful applicant must be ready to start ASAP. To apply, please send your cover letter and resume in pdf form to Yvonne Leung at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Driven by the Jewish value of welcoming the stranger, HIAS Pennsylvania provides legal, resettlement and supportive services to immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers from all backgrounds in order to assure their fair treatment and full integration into American society. HIAS Pennsylvania advocates for just and inclusive public policies and practices.
General Position Description
HIAS Pennsylvania seeks an immigrant crime victim supervising attorney to provide culturally and linguistically appropriate outreach and direct legal services to immigrant survivors of serious crimes. The work is multi-faceted and includes outreach to immigrant communities regarding the following issues:
- Victims Compensation Assistance;
- the Criminal Justice Process;
- Victim Rights; and
- Services available to victims (including law enforcement interview advocacy/accompaniment, individual advocacy with health care providers, safety net benefit providers, landlords, employers, etc., immigration assistance, language access assistance, crisis intervention services and linguistically and culturally appropriate counseling).
In addition, the supervising attorney will be able to provide the following direct services to new immigrant victims of crime who come forward at the outreach sessions, who are referred to our agency or who contacts our agency directly:
- immigration legal assistance including collecting necessary paperwork and documentation for special visa applications and completing and filing these applications;
- individual advocacy with various stakeholders
- grant management related work.
- Screen and advise clients who are referred by partner agencies, as well as those who come through our regular intake process;
- Provide consultation and representation in immigration matters, including but not limited to U nonimmigrant status/U-visa applications, adjustment of status, removal defense, and T-visas;
- Supervise staff of the Immigrant Crime Victim project including an accredited representative, case manager and program coordinator;
- Collaborate with other members of the Immigrant Victim of Crimes collaborative;
- Advise victims of their eligibility to file for Victim Compensation Assistance Program claims and provide appropriate referrals
- Act as a liaison between the victim and the Police Department, the District Attorney’s office or other social service agencies
- Provide support to the victim and advocate on behalf of the victim during interviews and subsequent contact with law enforcement agencies
- Assist with obtaining necessary documentation needed for special visas and other immigration relief
- Offer home visitation for victims unable to come into the office
- Provide public presentations to identify crime victims
- Participate in PCCD, diversity and other appropriate trainings
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with court, police, community groups, social service and agency employees.
- Translate written materials as needed
- Keep comprehensive statistics on all of the above services
- Other duties as assigned.
The candidate should be passionate about HIAS PA’s mission and history and have a demonstrated ability to work with diverse collaborators and stakeholders. In addition, the candidate should possess:
- JD Degree with two to four years of experience working with immigrant populations.
- Bi-lingual Spanish-English speaking skills (required)
- Supervisory experience preferred
- passion for working in a diverse community
- excellent organizational and time management skills
- ability to work independently/collaboratively
- excellent oral and written communication skills
- proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and database management
HIAS Pennsylvania is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against anyone on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief.
This is an exempt position; salary is commensurate with experience. Applications will be accepted until filled.