Fiscal Director/Controller - Legal Aid of Southeastern PA, Norristown/Montgomery County
Norristown/Montgomery County, PA (NTOW04182022)
Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania, Inc. (“LASP”) seeks a full-time Fiscal Director/Controller who will direct all aspects of LASP’s finance and accounting operations. LASP’s Human Resources Manager will also report to the Fiscal Director/Controller. The Fiscal Director/Controller will have the opportunity to be promoted to Chief Financial Officer upon demonstrated ability.
LASP is a public interest law firm providing civil legal services to low-income individuals and families with a staff of 90 employees working in 9 offices in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Montgomery Counties in the Philadelphia suburbs. Its annual budget exceeds $8,000,000 and includes a complex patchwork of over 30 public and private funding sources. Cases handled focus on fundamental human needs including housing, protection from domestic violence, family law, and basic income support. LASP also provides fresh starts for those facing obstacles to decent housing and employment due to expungable criminal records or debt.
The position is based in Norristown at LASP’s administrative office at 151 W. Marshall Street, in the historic former Sheidt Brewery Corporate headquarters. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required. Staff currently work on a hybrid basis depending on the current state of the Coronavirus in the service area. The successful candidate will be expected to perform in-office work as well as be able to work remotely as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Preparing monthly financial reports in accordance with US GAAP for presentation to LASP’s key stakeholders including the Board of Directors, government regulatory agencies, foundations, and public and private funders. LASP’s Board meets 5 times annually, and the Fiscal Manager/Controller will have the responsibility for preparing and presenting reports to the Board’s Treasurer, and Audit, Budget, and Executive Committees;
- Overseeing all accounting, budget and audit functions of LASP, which will include regular meetings with the Executive Director and Executive staff to provide fiscal updates and recommend necessary fiscal actions;
- Preparing the annual corporate and program budgets;
- Analyzing actual and projected revenues and expenditures, comparing them to budgeted amounts, and recommending areas for cost savings or other operational efficiencies;
- Maintaining the general ledger including ensuring all transactions are appropriately recorded and all accounts are reconciled monthly;
- Reviewing and monitoring grant agreements ensuring appropriate recording and reporting on unrestricted and restricted activity;
- Ensuring timely and accurate preparation of a monthly cost allocation report for LASP’s major state funder;
- Scheduling and preparing timely contract invoices and billing;
- Evaluating and maximizing cash flow position, including managing account receivables and accounts payables;
- Assessing, researching, recommending, and ultimately, implementing, the use of new technologies and automated processes to streamline LASP’s finance and accounting functions;
- Coordinating the annual financial statement audit, including the preparation of workpapers and supporting schedules, and responding to audit requests;
- Undertaking financial planning and analysis of agency programs relating to the sustainability of current programs and evaluation of prospective programs;
- Serving as liaison with government and private funders on fiscal matters, including budgets, budget modifications, and funder audits;
- Ensuring adherence to all LASP agency fiscal policies and procedures, and updating those policies and procedures when needed;
- Assisting in the analysis and selection of employee benefit providers, including health and ancillary benefits and 401K offering;
- Gaining expertise in fiscal policies and requirements of major funders including the Legal Services Corporation, the Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network, and others;
- Staying up-to-date and ensuring LASP’s compliance with new accounting pronouncements;
- Supervising the Human Resources manager and other finance and accounting staff supporting the work of the department. Additional team members currently include a Bookkeeper/Human Resources Assistant;
- Ensuring payroll is processed and posted timely and accurately;
- Participating and contributing to meetings both within the program and with Fiscal Directors in the statewide Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network;
- Other Duties and Tasks as assigned.
The Fiscal Director/Controller will report directly to LASP’s Executive Director but will also have significant interaction with other LASP executive staff, including the Deputy Directors for Operations and Advocacy, the Development Director, and the Grants and Compliance Specialist.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting; MBA or CPA preferred. Seven or more years supervisory/controllership/CFO experience required. Track record of successfully achieving clean audits for a program with multi-source and government contract funding. Proficiency with financial database and accounting software systems (LASP currently employs Sage 50 software), Microsoft Office Suite, Excel, and others. Ability to prioritize duties and maintain strict confidentiality on sensitive matters; sound exercise of discretion and judgement with the highest degree of professionalism. Commitment to social justice and a mission-driven organization and Executive team who strives to maximize resources to serve low-income and underserved populations in LASP’s service area. Excellent verbal and written communication, analytical, and organizational skills.
SALARY AND COMPENSATION:
Depending on experience and qualifications, a minimum of $95,000.00. Excellent benefits including employer-funded 401K, health insurance, and liberal leave provisions including paid holidays, personal, vacation, and sick leave.
LASP is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate in the recruitment, selection, or advancement of employees on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, genetic information, or on any other basis prohibited by law.
Send resume and cover letter to Elise Wilson-Coles, Human Resources Manager, at Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania to Hiring@lasp.org. Position remains open until filled.