Director of Legal Advocacy - North Penn Legal Services
North Penn Legal Services (NPLS) seeks lawyers and paralegals who are interested in becoming part of a regional team focused on creating access to justice for low-income residents in north and eastern Pennsylvania.
NPLS serves twenty counties where our advocates provide direct representation, community outreach, clinics and participate in local community leadership roles. Support for advocacy work comes from all NPLS’ nine offices and an established statewide network. The main office of NPLS is in Pittston. Some administrative staff members work in Bethlehem and Williamsport.
Currently NPLS is recruiting to fill the position of Director of Legal Advocacy. The primary function of this position is to assure uniform high quality legal and advocacy work throughout NPLS.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Coordinate advocacy work among offices and develop and implement a system for supervising legal work and encourage staff development.
- Establish guidelines for legal practice, identify training needs, review all significant litigation, encourage collaboration and co-counseling
- Supervise and evaluate managing attorneys, and assist with training of managing attorneys and office managers.
- Identify unmet legal needs of client community and develop new initiatives
- Assist with recruitment, orientation and training of new legal staff.
- Maintain a reduced caseload
- Must have a demonstrated commitment to public interest work.
- Applicants will be evaluated on their oral, writing and advocacy skills as well as prior experience as an attorney and as a supervisor.
- PA Bar or by admission required.
- Inter-county travel.
- Desire applicants with a minimum of ten years of practicing law in a legal aid or comparable setting.
- Salary DOE. Compensation range for 10 – 15 years practice would be $77,000 to $83,000.
- Competitive fringe benefits including generous paid leave, health insurance and 401(k) plan. Note: a significant portion of the compensation paid to our staff is employer paid benefits. Contact us to obtain details.
- Frequent opportunities for professional growth and development through local, state and national trainings.
- Access to loan repayment assistance programs.
What to Include in your application:
Please reply to email@example.com. Include a cover letter and resume. Cover letter must address your specific interest in this position.
North Penn values a diverse work environment and strongly encourages women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, people with disabilities, people who have experienced poverty or homelessness and people who have had prior contact with the juvenile, criminal, or child welfare systems to apply. NPLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
- Except as required by Sections 1006(b)(6) and 1007(a)(8) of the Legal Services Corporation Act, and Part 1616 of the Corporation Regulations, when any position for employment is available, North Penn Legal Services will seek qualified applicants without regard to color, sex, race, religion, disability, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identification, veteran’s status or any other consideration prohibited by law and will actively recruit diverse candidates for employment.
- Reference: Director of Legal Advocacy, Jan. 2019
Dec. 27, 2018