Director of Financial Operations - Laurel Legal Services, Greensburg
Laurel Legal Services is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation dedicated to assisting qualified individuals by providing legal advice and representation in a vast array of cases. Laurel’s main office is located in Greensburg Pennsylvania. The Director of Financial Operations works in the Greensburg office and handles the day-to-day fiscal responsibilities of the program as well as human resources issues and the cost allocation process. The job description includes, but is not limited to the following.
The Director of Financial Operations is administratively in charge of daily accounting operations and the financial reporting system under the direct supervision of the Executive Director. Assignments are difficult in nature and are carried out in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Accounting Manual, procedures and precedents and requirements of various funding sources; specific goals and objectives, OMB standards; and any applicable legal standards or regulations.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Maintain accounting data; general ledgers, journal entries; makes routine adjustments to accounts; takes trial balance and prepares routine financial reports.
- Balance accounts into fund totals, reconciles outstanding warrants and balance accounts with bank statements. Prepares invoice reimbursement requests to funders and quarterly financial reports.
- Complies with Laurel Legal Services, Inc. allocation methodology for rationally allocating expenses to funding sources, in compliance with OMB and funding source requirements.
- Ensures that timely data by activities used for the allocation of expenses is complete and accurate.
- Collaborates with Fiscal and Audit Committee in formulating budgets.
- Selection and maintenance of financial software.
- Collaborates with independent auditor and monitoring activities with funders.
- Provides administration oversight for employee benefits and prepares reports as required of all employee benefits.
- Overseeing payroll and accounts payable processes.
- Compiles raw financial data for use in preparing reports of Laurel Legal Services, Inc.'s financial condition.
- Monitors outsourced employee benefits such as health insurance, HRA, life and disability, 403(b) PLAN, unemployment, etc.
- Collaborates in the process of new hire orientations.
- Develops and recommends new or revised bookkeeping procedures to improve internal financial controls. Maintains and reviews furniture and equipment inventory.
- Reviews petty cash, trustee, and court costs accounts from all offices. Performs related work as required.
- Serve as the program procurement person.
- Assists the Executive Director in the oversight of general operations as needed, including drafting policies as appropriate, assisting in creating disaster recovery and technology plans.
- Does all of the above in regards to Private Attorney Involvement cases and clients.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Comprehensive understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and practices.
- Knowledge of budgeting processes, internal controls, bookkeeping procedures, automated accounting systems.
- Experienced working in a government contract environment.
- Analyzes, reconciles and/or evaluates the accuracy of general ledger, accounting details, revenues and expenditures.
- Exhibits ability to multi-task, prioritize, attention to detail, extensive problem solving skills and implementation.
- Knowledge of general office practices and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of auditing and financial requirements of all funding sources.
- Ability to perform detailed work with numerical data and to make arithmetical computations rapidly and accurately.
- High level of professional integrity – job requires being honest and ethical.
- Initiative – Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Ability to read, analyzes, and interprets general technical procedures, funder’s and governmental regulations.
- Ability to prepare routine and procedural financial reports and statements. Ability to develop bookkeeping procedures to improve financial control.
- Ability to apply established methods to financial transactions and to follow oral and written instructions. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates.
- Ability to reduce procedures to a written form and to periodically update and review the same.
- Use the utmost discretion in all presentations/correspondence and communication for staff, Board of Directors and Executive Director.
Receives supervision and instruction from the Executive Director
The Director of Financial Operations will assign tasks and oversee work performed by the Accounting Assistant.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Education – Bachelor of Science in accounting or higher.
Certified Public Accountant – Plus
Minimum five years of accounting experience working in/with not-for-profit organizations specifically.
Highly proficient working with Excel, Word and Microsoft 365.
Any equivalent combinations of training and experience may be substituted as determined by the Executive Director.
Position requires a background check.
This position is full time, in our Greensburg office. However, due to the restrictions imposed by the Governor’s office and the Department of Health, the new candidate will be in the office part time as well as teleworking and using Zoom until we can return to our offices on a full time basis.
Salary dependent upon experience
Salary range - $60-$65,000
Extensive fringe benefits include medical insurance, paid holidays, accrued vacation and sick leave, disability insurance, continuing education training, CPA certification reimbursement, PICPA membership, student loan assistance, personal days, and comp time.
Interviews begin promptly and will continue until the new candidate is chosen. The anticipated start date will be March 1, 2021.
Please send a resume and cover letter to Kimberly Tarbell, Director of Development & Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about our organization and our mission, visit www.laurellegalservices.org.
Laurel Legal Services, Inc is an Equal Opportunity Employer.