Chief Deputy Attorney General - Health Care Section, Harrisburg
Attorney General Josh Shapiro is seeking applicants for the position of Chief Deputy Attorney General for the Health Care Section/Public Protection Division.
SECTION: Health Care Section/Public Protection Division
CLASS: Chief Deputy Attorney General
POSITION TYPE: Full-time, Non-civil service, Non-Union
WORK HOURS: 8:30 – 5:00
SALARY RANGE: Commensurate with experience
The Chief Deputy Attorney General of the Health Care Section is a highly advanced professional, legal, and administrative position as a Section Chief in the PA Office of Attorney General. An employee in this class serves as Chief of a section that handles several thousand consumer complaints per year relative to consumers’ access to health care or health insurance.
This position requires a candidate with strong supervisory and litigation skills. The candidate should have litigation experience in federal and state courts and be familiar with the Pennsylvania Unfair Trade Practices Act, the Federal Affordable Health Care Act, and Medicaid/Medicare rules and must have the ability to assemble and work with litigation teams both within the office and with other Offices of Attorney General.
This position supervises a section with approximately 12 staff members including attorneys, investigators, and support staff. The Chief of Health Care reports to the Executive Deputy Attorney General of the Public Protection Division.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Serves as Chief of a section which mediates, investigates, and takes legal action on behalf of PA consumers
- Participates in speeches and other public presentations to the legal community and the general public about the role of the Office of Attorney General in protecting citizens with regards to health care issues.
- Participates in the initiation and development of new and revised departmental policies and procedures
- Participates in staff conferences called by the Attorney General, First Deputy Attorney General, or Executive Deputy Attorney General to discuss departmental policies
- Supervises and coordinates the preparation of legal documents incidental to litigation and court work
- Supervises the work of attorneys, investigators, and support staff in the section
- Provides guidance to attorneys in the section whom are engaged in court work
- Represents the state in highly complex and important litigation before trial and appellate courts and administrative tribunals
- Prepares Legal Memoranda for the Attorney General on matters involving the application of federal and state laws
- Examines and analyzes documents in order to determine legal sufficiency
- Performs related work as required
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Graduation from an accredited school of law, admission to the Bar of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, and progressively responsible legal experience
The Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General (OAG) is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to strengthening diversity within our agency.