Resources For Pro Bono Advocates
Pro Bono Advocates are an important part of the effort to provide legal assistance to low-income individuals and families.
The Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network programs work with their local bar associations to provide pro bono referral systems in many counties in Pennsylvania.
PLAN, Inc. also operates and maintains PAProbono.net, a website designed to support advocates in their efforts to provide legal aid to the poor.
PAProbono.net is an online legal community that provides information and resources for pro bono attorneys, legal aid attorneys, public defenders, and other legal advocates interested in increasing access to justice.
Civil Law Practice Area
The Pennsylvania Civil Law Practice Area of PAProbono.net contains information and resources relating to the non-criminal practice of law in Pennsylvania, including family law.
To access or contribute resources, you must be an approved member of the practice area.
You are eligible for membership in this area if you are:
- a public interest attorney;
- a law school student or faculty member; or
- a private attorney actively engaged in pro bono work or willing to become actively involved in pro bono by accept a pro bono case within the next six months.
The Civil Law Practice area contains many resources designed to help advocates in their representation of needy clients including:
- News - Items and alerts on issues of interest to advocates representing low-income individuals.
- Calendar - Listings of CLE Training Events and other events of interest. Events can be viewed by date, location or topic and members can add their own events to the calendar.
- Cases - Listing of cases where you can volunteer to help in representing individuals and families in need of legal assistance.
- Library - Resource materials to support you in your representation of clients in need of assistance. Resources include pleadings, briefs, legal reference materials, manuals and other training materials.
- Discussions - Groups you can join to participate in e-mail discussions about issues relating to the representation of clients needing assistance.
ProBono Advocate Resources
Pro Bono News
- Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network Recognizes Work in Support of Pro Bono with 2017 Excellence Awards
- Pennsylvania Bar Association Presents Community Service Awards to Five Attorneys
- ABA Military Pro Bono Project – Winter 2017 Newsletter for Volunteer Attorneys
- Chief Justice Saylor Thanks Bar for Support of Legal Aid and Encourages Additional Commitment Through Pro Bono
- Nominations Sought for ABA Pro Bono Publico Awards
- American Bar Association launches ImmigrationJustice.US website
- Nominations for 2017 Kutak-Dodds Prizes Now Open
Pro Bono Events
- Jun 10: 13th Annual Trial Run 5K Race
- May 26: Motions to Suppress and to Terminate Removal Proceedings: Litigating Fourth Amendment Violations in Immigration Court (Webcast)
- Aug 10: 2017 Raise a Glass to Justice - Benefit North Penn Legal Services
- Apr 19: Bond Basics and Strategies for Representing Clients Subject to Prolonged Detention (Webcast)
- May 12: What Immigration Attorneys Need to Know to be an Emergency Responder to ICE Enforcement Actions (Webcast)
- May 12: Helping Domestic Violence Victims Obtain Protection Orders (Pittsburgh)
- May 23: What Is "Sex"? Federal Legal Protections for LGBT People (Webcast)