Staff Attorney - Education Law Center (Philadelphia)
STAFF ATTORNEY: EDUCATION LAW CENTER
The Education Law Center-PA, a statewide nonprofit legal advocacy organization founded in 1975, seeks an experienced attorney for a full-time position in our Philadelphia office.
The mission of the Education Law Center is to ensure that all children in Pennsylvania have access to a quality public education. ELC employs a broad range of strategies to accomplish this mission including direct legal representation, impact litigation, educating parents and students about their legal rights, supporting community-based groups, and policy advocacy. Our work focuses on issues of access and equity in public education for students historically underserved by public education, including students of color, students with disabilities, English language learners, students experiencing homelessness, and students involved in the foster care and juvenile justice systems. We work to dismantle the school-toprison pipeline, ensure fair and adequate funding for public schools, and make certain that all children have access to the full range of public education opportunities.
The Law Center seeks an exceptionally talented candidate with the following skills and experience to work in a highly collaborative and supportive office:
- At least 5-10 years of legal experience
- Experience doing policy work on the local, state, and/or federal level
- Strong litigation skills
- Excellent research, writing and analytical skills
- Ability to work well with client families and collaboratively with colleagues and community partners
- Initiative, vision, and a willingness to use multi-strategy approaches to advocacy
- Public speaking experience • Demonstrated interest in ELC’s mission and/or experience working with underserved clients or communities
- Prior experience on the staff or board of a nonprofit is a plus
- Admission and good standing in the Pennsylvania bar or eligible for admission by reciprocity
To apply, please submit a letter of interest and a curriculum vitae by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Staff Attorney Applicant” in the subject line. Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The salary is commensurate with experience, and generous benefits are provided. The Education Law Center values a diverse and culturally competent workplace.