2017 PA Legal Aid Network VOCA Grantee Training
Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network, Inc. will be holding the 2017 Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network VOCA Grantee Training on June 7 & 8, 2017 at the Harrisburg Crowne Plaza.
This training is targeted to all new VOCA Grantees but we welcome all of the Domestic Violence Advocates Community of PA. This training will fulfill the requirements of the 10 hour mandatory VOCA Grantee training but is not just relevant for VOCA Grantees. It was developed in consultation with the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency. The training agenda will include sessions on:
- Trauma Informed Advocacy.
- Vicarious Trauma to providers of services.
- Confidentiality and Mandated Reporting, Identifying Conflicts of Interest, Referrals and Competent Representation.
- Unique Features of Representing Child and Elderly Victims of Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault Including Child Advocacy Centers. The Intersection of Civil Legal Proceedings and Child Protective Services Law.
- Immigration/U-Visas/Language Access/Interpreters, Being Culturally Informed, Including the LGBTQ Community.
- Current Developments in the PFA Law, Strangulation Bill, and Court Decisions Impacting Representation in PFA and PVSI cases, Addressing Temporary Protection Orders In Light of Court Requirements of Due Process. This session will also include discussion of VOCA restrictions on activities including accessibility and off-site delivery.
- A general session on Representing Victims of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault.
- Victim-Centered Services In the Context of Petitions Being Filed Directly by the Victim, Sometimes with Advocacy by Shelters, Followed by Appearance of Lawyers, Working from Pleadings Already Filed, and Indirect Criminal Contempt.
- Access to Court Records and Presenting Special Evidence in Court (Rules of Evidence/Social Media).
- Counseling the Client As A Whole, Strategies Regarding PFA Cases and Related Relief Including Custody, Support, Retaining Utility Services, Housing, and Damages/Special Rights for Victims of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault.
This two day training has been approved by the Pennsylvania Continuing Legal Education Board for a maximum of 8.0 hours of CLE credit substantive law, practice and procedure and up to 2.0 of ethics, professionalism or substance abuse CLE credit.
Travel, hotel accommodations, including parking costs will be paid by PLAN, Inc. for all Pennsylvanina Legal Aid Network program staff, Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence program staff, Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape program staff, and with approval, staff of other programs funded by the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Deliquency. Breakfast and lunch will be provided both days of the training.
PLAN, Inc. may have to establish limits on the number of attendees who can be offered this assistance, depending upon response. For questions contact Kelly Bock Yeckley at email@example.com or 717-236-9486, ext. 201.